LAS VEGAS (February 10, 2020) – Wynn Las Vegas announces the launch of its new Zero Carbon, Zero Waste Event service for clients producing group events in the Wynn and Encore meeting and convention space. Developed in tandem with Wynn's Energy and Sustainability Department, the service ensures the most sustainable event possible using a six-point zero carbon, zero waste method that is overseen by specially trained Convention Services Managers.
"A new era of eco-innovation is being ushered into the global MICE industry as companies require more stringent sustainability capabilities from their event host venues," said Erik Hansen, Wynn Resorts Chief Sustainability Officer. "At Wynn, we've invented solutions to complex environmental issues without compromising our commitment to five-star service. The result is a state-of-the-art event with an immediate and measurable sustainability impact that clients can be proud of."
The unique feat of a zero carbon event can be achieved because all convention space is powered by 100 percent renewable energy created and directly delivered by the 160-acre Wynn Solar Facility and on-site rooftop solar panels. Wynn's own renewable energy credits are then retired in the client's name, or transferred to a corporate account, to offset all energy consumed. Wynn is the only resort in Las Vegas with the ability to offer this valuable benefit.
The comprehensive Zero Carbon, Zero Waste Event service includes:
- Zero Carbon Energy Offset: Energy consumption equivalencies will be determined that include all energy used by an event, including energy used by event attendees outside of the convention space during their stay. The total amount is offset using Wynn's own renewable energy credits.
- Zero Waste Recycling Effort: Minimum of 90% of event waste will avoid landfills. Wynn's single-stream recycling program and asset recovery system will ensure that all waste is accurately sorted.
- Aluminum Water Bottles: Plastic water bottles are replaced with recyclable reusable aluminum water bottles and/or eco-friendly water bubblers with biodegradable compostable cups.
- No Single-Use Plastics: No plastic straws, place settings, drinkware, cutlery, or food stations.
- Sustainable Food Sourcing: Catering menus created from certified local ingredients, with capabilities to procure any organic, vegan, or highly specialized food sourcing request. Event food waste is collected and transferred to an agricultural farm and turned into animal feed.
- Event Materials Upcycling: Event production materials such as furniture, lighting fixtures, rugs, and supplies are donated to local nonprofits that have longstanding partnerships with Wynn.
- Custom Reporting: Customized overview of all sustainability initiatives achieved at the event.
Wynn Las Vegas and Encore currently hold Four Green Globes, the highest sustainable building certification from the Green Building Initiative, the definitive qualifier of energy-efficient and environmentally sustainable buildings. For information on additional sustainability programs and packages available to event clients, please visit www.WynnMeetings.com
# # #